Sunday, June 27, 2010

Housework or work-work...which is harder?

Steve stayed home with us the first week Cooper was home, which was way nice. He managed the entire house and kids. My job was to hold the couch down and feed Cooper : ).

At Steve's work they are doing a "Green Steps Challenge." Basically all the employees that want to participate wear a pedometer and whoever has the most steps will be eligable for prizes, which end up being pretty nice.

While Steve was home he was just doing housework and taking care of the girls, not even doing any type of exercise. He averaged at home about 14,000 steps per day. Steve's average for this last week after going back to work was about 6,000 steps (with only about 1,500 of the steps coming while actually at work, which was about 10 hours of his day). The funny part was when Steve came back to work he had the highest steps in his office...crazy.

I didn't realize how many steps one can do just being home and taking care of kids, but I guess all those little things add up throughout the day. So, which job is harder or more physically demanding...I think hands down housework any day : ).

6 comments:

terrah said...

Oh, this makes me want to get a pedometer! I wonder if I log as many steps as Steve does :). I hope he gets the prize!

Tobi said...

That is really interesting. I wouldn't have guessed we take so many steps in day!

Holly said...

That really says something about us busy Moms. I love it!!

Alex said...

I guess that's why all those studies indicate that an office job or sitting all day adds on the pounds!

Justin and Kenzee said...

Very interesting comparison. But it just validates what all housewives already knew... of course staying at home is the toughest! ;-)

I'm so glad to hear that Cooper is letting you get some rest.

Tami said...

Wow! Now we have proof! We really do work harder. :) Love the pics of cute little Cooper and the girls.